Tuesday, March 18, 2008

As Promised





I promised that I would post pictures of my cakes as I decorated them. Well, my friend Abby asked me to help her decorate her daughter's birthday cake. It was a Dora the Explorer Cake, which I had done before. With the previous cake turning out like this:

Not perfect, but not too bad. I went with full confidence that Abby's Dora cake would turn out just as fantastic.

I made the colored frostings up the night before and then as I was lying down to bed I remembered that I forgot to make the "skin color" frosting. I thought we would be fine, I would just add white to the brown I made for the eyes. After all, Dora is a latina. She's got the golden glow. Now I didn't want to overtake Abby's project. I wanted to be there to help her make a beautiful cake for her daughter. I was the assistant. We divided up tasks and went to work. Abby was doing the hair and I was going to outline the body, the black frosting that Abby got was a little difficult to manuver. Now as we look at the pictures it looks like she has a fro - a curly fro.

I think Abby was getting discouraged so she became my assistant and we were working it. She was changing out tips and stuffing bags. That's when it got funny. I finished all the white stuff so that we could use the additional white to lighten the brown. It didn't lighten enough. I starting piping the skin color and quickly found that...















Dora is an African American. And after seeing the pictures, Dora is an African American with a lazy eye. This cake makes me laugh so much. Her skin was so dark that he nose disapeared and I had to outline it in black so that she would have one. Same with her mouth. We tried so hard. At the party everyone commented on how cute the cake looked. I'm trying this new thing where I don't point out all the things that went wrong, so I just smiled and said thank you. The technique was there, its just the minor details that make or break a cake.

Thanks, Abby, for letting me have a part in making your daughter's birthday memorable.

I'm sure Abby will be posting on this experience as well. Check out her blog because I am sure it will have you in stiches. I try, but sometimes I lack in my storytelling skills.

13 comments:

Abby said...

That is the awesomest cake ever. As I said, I'm being held up by offspring, but my version of events (the true one) will appear within 24 hours. Of this, I am vaguely confident.

Stephanie B said...

I just asked Lauren which cake she liked better she said, "The light one."

Anonymous said...

That was so funny! Oh my goodness, I about peed my pants when I scrolled down to check out the other cake. Good times, good times!

The Coatney's said...

I appreciate that you are always including all races in your cakes. You're a very fair woman.

Yo Mama said...

I am laughing so hard that I am crying. That is so funny, Steph. It reminds me of the time I had to make baby face cupcakes for a Sri Lankan Lady. You are seriously talented in the area of lazy eyes though.

Stephanie B said...

Did you ever post pictures of those cupcakes?

Jennilee said...

I think this is my favorite post so far. I think it's good to have muliticultural cakes, even if it IS accidentally! Love your blog!

The Kay Family said...

I think your account is pretty funny!! Both of those cakes are awesome. Love the "diversity!"

j said...

i am laughing so hard i'm crying right now- i love it! so hillarious. way to go on both cakes, though- i can't even imagine doing that! mine would be unrecognizable in any culture! :)

Bowles said...

Ahahahahah, Awesome Cake!!
I love it!

Brady said...

That was great!

Amber Carter said...

I think this Dora cake is representing the episode "Dora's World Adventure". (can you tell I have a Dora fan at my house too?) She is supposed to look like that, right? :)

Anonymous said...

Sue says you should rename her L'Dora. Honestly, she's totally crying here next to me.