Friday, March 5, 2010

The last day

Our last day with Trav was a Wednesday. Trav wanted the day to be like any other day, the only thing that was a problem with that was me weeping throughout the day. So here's what we did in an effort to be "just any other day."

Lauren loves to watch Trav play Zelda. Its something that she will beg him when he gets home from work to play Zelda. He'll say, "You'll have to read 3 books before hand." or some other task.


We also got Wii Resort for Christmas so here is the girls playing that.We went out to a Japanese steak house with the girls and my in-laws for dinner. The girls loved watching the show as you can tell.
Lauren later referred to the chopsticks as pinchers in asking, "Can we go back to that restaurant with the pinchers?"
No, it wasn't loud in there, Lauren just covers her ears when she gets scared.
Rachel enjoyed the food and entertaining everyone.
At 8 or 9pm we heading on post to the farewell party. They had a room set aside for families to mingle until it was departure time. It wasn't the most relaxing time as little Rachel got into everything she could find. Its hard to stay too upset at a face like this:



At 11:30 pm we finally had to say goodbye. Lauren was (or pretended) to be asleep. Trav carried her out to the car and buckled her in and said his goodbyes.
Rachel was awake and kind of oblivious to what was going on.Trav then said goodbye to his parents and then it was my turn.

I was a wreck. I decided I wasn't going to wear make-up that day because what was the use, I would have cried it all off. Honestly, this is my third time doing this, and it doesn't get any easier. We held each other and said goodbye. The hardest was seeing him walk away.

My in-laws drove us to our house and helped me get the girls in bed. The moment I shut the door behind them, I had a major breakdown. The reality that I was now going to be the sole care giver for our children was overwhelming. The thought of going up to sleep in the bed where he laid just 24 hours before hurt - physically hurt. The thought that the love of my life might be in harms way over took me. I cried myself to sleep thinking, "Tomorrow starts it. Tomorrow I am on my own."

10 comments:

Abby said...

Good call on the no make-up. I would have cried all of mine off, too. I'm so sorry he's gone.

Erin said...

Oh Steph!! What would our family do without you!! We love you!

urpy said...

Thanks a lot, Steph! Now I'm crying my freakin' eyes out!

Becky said...

I'm crying too. I think you are so strong and amazing. I really admire what your little family goes through.

Susanna Joy said...

Your honesty is really brave, Steph. I am sure that you have found, and continue to find, new depths of God's grace to you and your girls during this very difficult time.

I understand the *physical* pain of a husband's absense.... it hits me in the stomach and the throat.
Sending lots of love from Michigan.

Funny sidenote-- Annabella loves to watch Jake play Zelda after work. She begs him, too. No joke!

xo

Emily said...

It's hard to comment on this post, because there's nothing to say to make it any easier! I really admire the sacrifice that your family makes - you've got saint-hood in my opinion! You're an incredible mother and I'm sure your children couldn't be in better hands! You'll be in our thoughts!

it's just lisa said...

oh Steph, you have me in tears. I hope you get all the support you need while you wait for trav to come home!

Stacey Mom said...

Saddest post ever Steph, but I'm so glad you are truthful. Glossing over it wouldn't do it justice. Take care and we love you!

Brady said...

My heart aches for you Steph. I can't imagine how hard that must be. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers...

Carrie Stevenson said...

Ahhhhhhh! That was a tough post to read--you're awesome and you guys are always in our prayers. Um, coincidence that Jer is going to the same spot as Trav? and doing the exact same thing? I think not!!